This Luang Prabang based One To One intensive Photography Course & Tour offers you an amazing opportunity to Study Photography and master your camera in beautiful Northern Laos. Photographer Jonathan Taylor uses his expert knowledge of the region and it’s people to not only improve your photography dramatically but also give you an opportunity to experience the country in great depth.
This is a private Photography Course & Tour, so how many people come along is up to you. Your study will be flexible and you will experience so much more than you ever could in a large group of strangers. You learn at your own pace and have personalized study objectives, no matter your present skill level or the type of photography you wish to focus on. A balance will be made between your wish to become a better photographer but also experience one of the most amazing areas in the world. Please visit our Testimonial Page to see what our student have been saying about this fantastic opportunity.
Your travel itinerary can include the following below but as this is bespoke travel your journey will be unique and special.
Luang Prabang, Northern Laos
Set in lush rain-forested mountains, this is yet another world heritage protected gem of Southeast Asia. It offers fantastic photographic opportunities. Take a riverboat down the majestic Mekong River and visit ethnic tribe communities whose homes are scattered along the banks. Or head off to the hills to see shaman practice their traditional healing methods, or photograph the rice harvest on the sides of steep mountains.
- Day 01: Get to know Luangprabang, it’s markets and people, we will meet in the early afternoon as a get-together opportunity and to further outline your course.
- Day 02: Float down the majestic Mekong River, stopping at ethnic hill tribe villages along the way. Truly spectacular scenery and an amazing look almost back in time. One of Asia most beautiful of rivers is surrounded by lush densely green jungle.
- Day 03: Visit various mountains ethnic hill-tribe villages, photograph and experience their culture all set in spectacular mountaintop vistas.
- Day 04: Visit the beautiful waterfalls at Kuangxi they are worth a visit, we will make regular stops to visit local communities, each trip is slightly different depending what we and our expertly eyed driver sees along the way. It may be Mon ( ethnic hill tribe ) Shaman performing a ceremony or women who wants to show her nearly born baby, who must sit by a heated stone as the birth and aftercare are deeply rooted in Laotian culture.
- Day 05: Here Jonathan will give you individual assignments to complete that are personalized to your level and interests. We will also visit local communities that produce silk, rice whiskey and photograph agricultural farmers at work. In the evening we can relax together, have a final assisted edit and critique of your best work over they last five days, while reflecting on your experience of the place, its people and your photographic growth.
Your lessons will personalised with hands on help throughout the day plus group critique each evening but can include:
- Learning to use the camera on Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority.
- Flash Photography
- Tripod Photography
- Depth of Field
- Light Metering
- Composition Techniques: Including Framing, Movement, Abstract and Art Photography.
- Location Photography: Including Street photography, lifestyle, nature, and architecture.
- People Photography, learn how to approach people for great portraits and street photography.
- Documentary Photography: Including Feature photography, choosing a story, finding a narrative, editing and selling commercially, presentation techniques and Photojournalism.
- Creative Photography: Learn how to conceptualize and create unique images expressing emotion or theme.
- Photoshop and other post-processing programs to enhance your photographs.
- Learning to work on your own personal mid and long-term projects, for further development.
- and more….
Your study aims and objectives will be personalized to suit your exact needs – that’s the reason for Jonathan preferring One-To-One or small private groups to larger tours. It means you get lots of valuable tutor time too. With Jonathan’s twenty-five year’s of experience in the region, he makes sure you enjoy your photographic exploration in full.
5 Day Course & Tour $1500 USD
Each additional person you book pays just $150 per day
The fees include personal photography instruction by Jonathan Taylor, transportation, and entrance fees. Accommodation fees are not included but hotel bookings will be arranged for you if needed.
Tutor: Jonathan Taylor
Please refer to our Terms & Conditions page before booking a course.
Please use the contact form to make a booking or further inquiries about the dates of the next available tour, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org