One-To-One or Private Group Photography Classes in Cambodia, Northern Laos & Thailand, lead and tutored by Master Photographers personally- Courses start from one to ten days. They allow for dramatic personal photographic development, with lots of time for artistic growth & technical expertise. You will also be able to really explore Southeast Asia. But please note this are not your usual “Photography Tour”. The emphasis will still be on learning but in some great locations too. The courses offer you a chance to grow as a photographer and are an exciting chance improve and develop greatly, while gaining a deeper understanding of the region and its people.
But please read the Testimonal page for student’s comments of these wonderful experiences.
Your lessons will include:
- Learning to use the camera on Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority.
- Flash Photography
- Tripod Photography
- Depth of Field
- Light Metering
- Composition Techniques including: Framing, Movement, Abstract and Art Photography.
- Location Photography including: Street photography, lifestyle, nature and architecture.
- People Photography, learn how to approach people for great portraits and street photography.
- Documentary Photography including: Feature photography, choosing a story, finding a narrative, editing and selling commercially, presentation techniques and Photojournalism.
- Creative Photography learn how to conceptualize and create unique images expressing emotion or theme.
- Photoshop and other post processing programs to enhance your photographs.
- Learning to work on your own personal mid and long term projects, for further development.
Locations to for practical assignments include:
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This area gives access not only to the wonderful Angkor Wat Temple complex, a world heritage site a true ‘ancient wonder of the world’. But also the stilted fishing villages, set deep out on the massive Tonle Sap Lake. Rural Countryside Communities you would never discover alone. It has just been voted one of the best ten tourist destinations for a reason it is simple stunningly beautiful and the people amazingly open and friendly. A photogenic paradise. The local fishing communities are reached by minivan after a two hour drive out from the town.
- You will be guided around the majestic and stunning Angkor Wat Temple complex, not only will you receive expert photographic instruction our English speaker drivers will also tell you something of the temples and their importance in history.
- You will be taken to Kampung Pluk stilted fishing village that is a delight anytime of the year but for most of the year is surrounded by the massively huge and beautiful Tonle Sap Lake.
- In the early morning we head off to Siem Reap’s largest fresh food market, it is an Asian ‘wet market’ so you can expect to see everything on sale there from vegetables to live ducks. This is when we head off into the heart of Cambodia’s farming communities, truly rural and truly stunning. The people are all very friendly and open to being photographed.
- You will be introduced to a vast variety of ‘well of the beaten track’ local villages, impossible to find without Jonathan’s expert knowledge of the region.
Luangprabang, Northern Laos
Set in lush rain-forested mountains, this is yet another world heritage protected gem of Southeast Asia. It offers fantastic photographic opportunities. Take a river boat down the majestic Mekong River and visit ethnic tribe communities whose homes are scattered along the banks. Or head off to the hills to see shaman practise their traditional healing methods, or photograph the rice harvest on the sides of steep mountains.
- Float down the majestic Mekong River, stopping at ethnic hill tribe villages along the way. Truly spectacular scenery and an amazing look almost back in time. One of Asia most beautiful of rivers is surrounded by lush densely green jungle.
- Visit various mountains ethnic hill-tribe villages, photograph and experience their culture all set in spectacular mountain top vistas.
- The beautiful water falls at Kuangxi are worth a visit, we will make regular stops to visit local communities, each trip is slightly different depending what we and our expertly eyed driver sees along the way. It may be Mon ( eithnic hill tribe ) Shaman performing a ceremony or a women who wants to show her nearly born baby, who must sit by a heated stone as the birth and after care are deeply rooted in Laotian culture.
Please also note Luangprabang’s city centre is a vibrant place full of temples and local culture too. You will have plenty of time to explore it. Each morning thousands of monks walk through the streets gather alms- Tak Bat, some of whom are only very young children. It means an early start, 6.00am but Jonathan highly recommends you wake yourself up on at least one of the mornings to photograph and experience the amazing visual spectacle.
Learn photography in this most vibrant of cities, our fully equipped photography school is set near the centre of town. Very close to the majestic Chao Praya River and the famous streets of Bangkok’s famous China Town. You will be given instruction and your day’s assignments at the school followed by photography in the most interesting ‘nooks and crannies’ of Southeast Asia.
Places to visit include:
- Pak Klong Talat ( Flower Market )
- China Town
- Up town Siam Square
- The families living on the side of the railway tracks near Petchburi Road.
- India Town
- The friendly communities of Thonburi.
Your itinerary is also open to some extent and can be modified created to suit your personal needs in terms of study and travel, that’s the reason for Jonathan preferring One-To-One or small private groups to larger tours. It means you get lots of valuable tutor time too. With Jonathan’s twenty years of experience in the region he makes sure you enjoy your photographic exploration in full. Please ask if you have further destinations in mind. Vietnam and Malaysia for instance. As well as being a photojournalist Jonathan has run workshops and tours throughout the Southeast Asia and knows the region and its people extremely well.
One to Two Day Courses $420 USD Per Five Hour Session
Three to Four Day Course $390 USD Per Five Hour Session
Five Days to Nine Day Course $350 USD Per Five Hour Session
Ten Days or longer $300 USD Per Five Hour Sessions
Each additional person you book studies for just an extra $250 USD per session.
Hotel and flight fees are not included but everything can be arranged for you to suit your budget, expect to pay for accommodation anything from $35 to $120 USD depending on your needs. Flights from Siem Reap Luangprabang are from $250 to $300 USD depending on the time of travel. Food is very cheap and delicious in Southeast Asia so you will need only around $15 to $40 USD per day for food and drink, again depending on your specific needs.
Available dates can be checked on the calendar below. Please use the contact form to make a booking or further enquiries, or email us at email@example.com
Photographer School Asia insists all participants have their own personal travel insurence needed for the region.
If a truly amazing photography adventure interests you in the lush mountains of Northern Thailand please visit this page for further details- Northern Thailand Adventure Photography Tours.